Timmy Hansen and Johan Kristoffersson were the weekend’s big winners as the FIA World Rallycross Championship served up another pulsating double header, with rounds seven and eight taking place at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. Here is all you need to know:
– Timmy Hansen took his first win since claiming the 2019 WRX world title in Saturday’s FIA World RX of Pirineus-Barcelona 2030, finishing just ahead of standings leader and pole sitter Johan Kristoffersson.
– Kristoffersson lead from the front and held P1 until he took his joker lap, when Hansen seized his opportunity by putting in a series of flawless laps to take the chequered flag, under half a second ahead of his Swedish compatriot.
– Kevin Hansen put in a fine drive of his own to finish third behind Kristoffersson and take his second podium of the season.
– Mattias Ekström lost ground in the title fight after he could only bring his Audi in fifth.
– Timmy Hansen said: “It feels like I’ve just beaten the unbeatable one. For so many years we’ve chased that Volkswagen: as a private team, as a factory team with Peugeot and now as a private team again… Johan has again done a fantastic weekend, but finally I managed to beat him in a final and it feels fantastic to be the winner.”