Pol Espargaró rode an impressive race in Valencia on Sunday to bag another podium as Suzuki’s Joan Mir won his maiden MotoGP race to extend his 2020 title lead. Here is all you need to know:
– Spaniard Espargaró excelled in Saturday qualifying to secure pole on his Red Bull KTM Factory Racing bike, however could not match the better pace of the Suzukis.
– Mir and Alex Rins got past him early on with Mir’s first race win in the elite class extending his championship lead to 37 points from Rins and Fabio Quartararo.
– It is Espargaró’s fourth podium this season in a classy year that now sees him up to seventh in the standings.
– Japan’s Takaaki Nakagami put in a strong performance for Honda to chase down Espargaró, but left it just too late and finished the best independent finisher for LCR.
– Portuguese Miguel Oliveira moved into fourth early on and ended fifth with Australian Jack Miller just behind in sixth and South African Brad Binder producing a late Red Bull KTM Factory Racing surge to pip Ducati’s Andrea Dovizioso and France’s Johann Zarco for seventh.
– Sadly rookie Álex Márquez exited the race with four laps remaining, while fellow Spaniard Iker Lecuona was forced to miss out due to COVID quarantine regulations.
European GP result
1) Joan Mir SPA Suzuki Ecstar 41m 37.297s
2) Alex Rins SPA Suzuki Ecstar +0.651s
3) Pol Espargaró SPA Red Bull KTM +1.203s
4) Takaaki Nakagami JPN LCR Honda +2.194s
5) Miguel Oliveira POR Red Bull KTM Tech3 +8.046s
2020 MotoGP rider standings
1) Joan Mir SPA Suzuki 162 points
2) Fabio Quartararo FRA Yamaha 125
3) Álex Rins SPA Suzuki 125
4) Maverick Viñales SPA Yamaha 121
5) Franco Morbidelli ITA Yamaha 117