Tom Pagès will spend the next two months preparing for the world’s biggest beach race as the French freestyle motocross star takes on a daunting new endurance challenge at the Enduropale du Touquet event in January. Here is all you need to know:
– Pagès has gone from practising in his own back yard in France, to competing with the best riders in the world and progressing the sport time and again through his series of never-been-done tricks.
– The 35-year-old has picked up titles for fun over the years with the multiple X-Games and Red Bull X-Fighters winner now eager to test himself further.
– The iconic Enduropale du Touquet covers over 13km of sand in northern France and is the inspiration for the famous Dakar Rally after wowing fans since the inaugural edition way back in 1975.
– The first event attracted 286 competitors with over 1,000 professional and amateur enduro riders expected in 2021 to tackle waves, chicanes and velodrome-style turns with the final ranking established according to the most completed laps after three tough hours of racing.
– Pagès revealed: “I have to catch up 15 years of experience on the most experienced riders. I need to get used to riding with a new type of neoprene gloves, which change my feelings on the throttle. Also a camel bag in my back because we need a lot of water throughout the race: hydration is key and, if you are thirsty, it’s already too late and you are in danger.”
– Mental preparation is crucial, while the mechanical factor will be key as well to find the right settings for success on his new Yamaha YZF 450 sand bike.
– Pagès added: “Looking for new challenges is the key to longevity, even more in individual sports. I have learned from my mistakes in the past 14 years and I want to optimise my abilities to bring them into this new discipline. This new challenge also allows me to open my mind and to bring fresh air into my FMX career in which the mental workload is high. This short break in freestyle motocross already made me think of new tricks and new projects around FMX for the next two to three years. In the meantime, I focus on my next objectives: strengthen my physical preparation, be at the start of Enduropale 2021 and aim for the top of the board, even though I am aware of the difficulty. Winning is unimaginable but, maybe, not impossible!”