Álex Márquez produced a scintillating ride to secure his best-ever finish in the elite class at Sunday’s French Grand Prix. The Spanish rookie gave Honda its first podium in 2020 by finishing second having started from 18th place. Here is all you need to know:
– A dramatic, rainy race in Le Mans saw Márquez take full advantage of the testing conditions, despite never having raced a MotoGP bike in the wet, rising from 18th to 8th within the first few laps.
– The Spaniard came close to securing victory, but eventually settled for second to secure the 39th podium of his career and his first in the premier class.
– “It wasn’t easy starting 18th on the grid but I was feeling really good on the bike. It’s a great result for the Repsol Honda Team and I want to say thank you to them for always believing in me and working so hard. Myself and the team never gave up,” said Marquez.
– Red Bull KTM Factory Racing rider Pol Espargaró secured third place in dramatic fashion after edging out the experienced Andrea Dovizioso who finished in fourth.
– Dovizioso managed to hold fourth despite his fading rear tyre, with Johann Zarco taking fifth on the Avintia Ducati on home soil and Miguel Oliveira finishing in sixth place.
– Takaaki Nakagami was seventh on the LCR Honda, while Brad Binder finished in 12th place and Spanish rookie Iker Lecuona was 15th.
– Australia’s Jack Miller failed to finish as reigning champion Marc Márquez sat out injured again.
French Grand Prix result
1. Danilo PetrucciITADucati Team 45m 54.736s
2. Alex MarquezSPARepsol Honda +1.273s
3. Pol EspargaroSPARed Bull KTM +1.711s
4. Andrea DoviziosoITADucati Team +3.911s
5. Johann Zarco FRA Reale Avintia +4.310s
2020 MotoGP rider standings
1 . abio Quartararo FRA Yamaha 115 points
2. Joan Mir SPA Suzuki 105
3. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati 97
By: Red Bull Content