Italian and Frenchman lead categories overall after two Faenza races
Red Bull KTM Factory Racing’s Antonio Cairoli and Tom Vialle won their respective MXGP and MX2 categories at the MXGP of Emilia Romagna as Jorge Prado also picked up a race win. Here is all you need to know:
– Spaniard Prado was in a class above in the first MXGP race as he won from Cairoli with Switzerland’s Jeremy Seewer third and Slovenian Tim Gajser fifth.
– Dutchman Glenn Coldenhoff finished back in eighth as compatriot Jeffrey Herlings was forced to sit out both races following his crash during practice for the MXGP of Città di Faenza that left the 2018 MXGP champion nursing troublesome neck and shoulder injuries.
– In the second MXGP race, Gajser put the hammer down and won from Cairoli with Frenchman Romain Febvre third, Seewer fourth, Coldenhoff fifth and Prado sixth.
– Veteran Italian Cairoli won the GP overall to claim the 2020 championship lead by seven points from Gajser with Herlings 22 points back in third, Prado fifth and Coldenhoff seventh ahead of the MXGP of Lombardia.
– In the MX2 class, Belgian Jago Geerts won the first race from Vialle with the positions reversed for the second as Vialle won the GP overall to lead overall by 21 points.
2020 MXGP standings
1. Antonio Cairoli ITA KTM 285 points
2. Tim Gajser SLO HON 278
3. Jeffrey Herlings NED KTM 263
2020 MX2 standings
1. Tom Vialle FRA KTM 354 points
2. Jago Geerts BEL YAM 333
3. Maxime Rénaux FRA YAM 259